LGBT Asian and Pacific Islanders will receive the Tang Scholarship each year to assist them in paying for their post-secondary education.
Apply for the scholarship using the guide provided below.
About the Tang Scholarship
Mr. Edward C. Tang started the Tang Scholarship in 2007 to help LGBTQ Asian and Pacific Islanders (API) pay for their college education. The goal of this award is to help LGBT kids reach their educational goals without shame.
How Much is the Tang Scholarship?
This scheme offers up to $60,000 in combined scholarships over four years to up to four deserving candidates each year. If each student meets the renewal conditions each year, the scholarships are renewable for a total of three more years (four years total).
To qualify for the Tang Scholarship, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- A citizen or legal resident of the United States
- Having at least 25% Asian or Pacific Islander heritage, identifying as gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender, and actively participating in the GLBT community
- A high school diploma from one of the following nine counties in the Bay Area: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara County, Napa, Sonoma, or Solano
- Scholarships will be given to students who are enrolled full-time (minimum 12 units for all semesters and quarters) at a recognized two-year, four-year, or graduate institution; (college, university, community college, or vocational school)
- Be between the age of 17 and 25 on April 30
- Show financial difficulty
- Show promise in their academics
- Minimum 3.0 unweighted GPA (on a scale of 4.0) across all institutions attended or enrolled in
To complete your application, you must provide the following documents:
- Personal statement
- Letters of reference (One letter from a teacher or academic advisor; One letter from a work or volunteer supervisor, a youth leader, or a personal acquaintance)
- Transcripts (Photocopies and copies from the Internet are unacceptable)
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or legal residency
- Financial documentation
How to Apply for the Tang Scholarship
Download the application form here.
Fill out the application form and mail it to:
1350 Oakhurst Avenue
San Carlos, CA 94070-4631
When is the Scholarship Deadline?
Applications for the Tang Scholarship close on April 17.
Note: Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. Date of postmark, faxed, and emailed applications will NOT be considered.
Tang Scholarship Application Contact Details
Contact Edward Tang at ecmt@ yahoo. com