Google is committed to helping military veterans. As part of this commitment, they teamed up with SVA to offer a scholarship program: the Google SVA Scholarship. The scholarship award aims to help military students excel in their various fields.
Below is an overview of the scholarship program:
What is the Google SVA Scholarship?
SVA – Student Veterans of America
Google and Student Veterans of America worked together to make the Google SVA Scholarship as part of Google’s efforts to help veterans. The program helps veterans studying at American universities get degrees in computer science.
How Much is the Google Student Veterans of America Scholarship?
Qualified Google SVA scholarship applicants will receive $10,000 for the upcoming academic year. Applicants must use the scholarship award to cover tuition and other compulsory education costs.
Related Field of Study
- Applied Networking
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical Engineering (with a heavy computer science course load)
- Information Systems
- Information Technology
- Software Engineering
- Systems administration
Who is Eligible for the Google SVA Scholarship?
To qualify for the SVA scholarship, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be enrolled at a college or university currently as an undergraduate or graduate student
- Intend to enroll or be accepted as a full-time student at an American university for the next academic year
- Maintain a high level of performance in school
- Earning a degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a closely related technical discipline
- A current student veteran (including National Guard or Reserve personnel) as demonstrated by a DD-214 and transcript, or an active-duty student as demonstrated by submitting Active Duty orders, a Memorandum of Understanding from your commanding officer confirming that you are currently in good standing with your unit, and transcript.
- Have an honorable discharge or is in good standing with their branch of the military
What Documents Do I Need to Provide?
To complete your application, you must provide the following documents:
- A current copy of a resume or CV
- An unofficial copy of current university transcripts
- Two letters of reference from a professor, adviser, or supervisor
- DD 214
- Three short essays (500 words each). Essay questions:
- Please give us one example of how you have exhibited leadership. Explain what you were trying to achieve, your role, how you influenced others, and the impact as a result of your actions. Think broadly and examine the many ways you are having an effect on the members of the different communities you are a part of. Keep in mind, the example you choose does not need to be a formal or traditional leadership role.
- What is a significant challenge that impacts student veterans in the technology field, and what do you believe is the root cause of this challenge? What actions have you taken to address this challenge? Keep in mind that impact can happen in many ways and at different scales. Please focus at least half of your response on the actions you have taken.
- Describe any financial circumstances affecting your need for a scholarship. In your answer be sure to describe any obstacles you have overcome to get to where you are today. What goals will this scholarship enable you to accomplish?
How to Apply for the Google SVA Scholarship
Student Veterans of America is the administrator of the Google SVA Scholarship. To apply:
- Visit the Student Veterans of America’s website.
- Go to Programs and Event.
- Select Scholarships.
- Choose the Google SVA Scholarship.
- Fill out the application form.
- Submit the required documents.
When is the Scholarship Closing Date?
Applications for the Google SVA Scholarship open in March and close in April.