Get a free study opportunity to study at one of the prominent universities through the Defence Merit Scholarship. Fill out the application form using the guide provided below.
Here is an overview of the scholarship:
What is the Defence Merit Scholarship?
For civilian jobs inside the company, MINDEF offers the coveted Defense Merit Scholarship. Awarded to a chosen handful each year, the DMS opens doors to top-tier education at some of the most prestigious universities in the world. As a Defence Executive Officer (DXO) at MINDEF after graduation, Defence Merit Scholars have a rewarding and demanding career.
Is the Defense Merit Scholarship Out?
The Singapore Armed Forces Defence Merit scholarship is open for application. To qualify for this scholarship, you must meet the requirements stipulated by the Ministry of Defence scholarship center.
What Does DMS Cover?
The SAF Defence scholarship provides funding for the following:
- Tuition fees and other approved academic charges
- Books, clothing, computer, etc
- One-off sponsorship for summer exchange programs
- Return airfare
- Four years of study
DM Scholarship Courses
- Arts/Social Sciences
- International Relations
- Political Science
- Politics & Economics
- Science/Natural Sciences
- Harvard University
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Johns Hopkins University
- University of Chicago
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Stanford University
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Yale University
- Princeton University
- University of Cambridge
- Imperial College London
- London School of Economics and Political Science
- University College London
- University of Oxford
Who is Eligible for Defense Merit Scholarship
The scholarship is open to both males and females. To qualify for the Defence Merit Scholarship, you must be an exceptional Singaporean student with good leadership qualities.
What are the Eligibility Requirements
- Good GCE ‘A’ Level or International Baccalaureate results, Polytechnic Diploma (with Merit) or equivalent
- Good co-curricular activities (CCA) records
- Singapore citizens or permanent residents intending to take up citizenship
What Documents Do I Need?
Make sure these documents are ready before your application:
- Write a one-page essay on one of the following topics:
- If you have an audience with the Prime Minister tomorrow, what will you tell him?
- What kind of Singapore would you like to see in 15 years’ time?
- What is one event in your life that has changed you as a person?
- What is one challenging incident or experience you encountered and how did you overcome or recover from the setback?
- CCA testimonials
- Educational certificates
- NAPFA Test slip (DMS and in-service personnel need not submit)
- 1 Front & Back copy of your NRIC or SAF 11B
- 1 colored passport-size photograph (for female applicants only)
Where Can I Apply for DMS?
You can apply on the MINDEF/SAF application portal: https://go.gov.sg/mindef-saf-scholarship. Fill out your application on the application form.
Then, email your application to:
Or email the hard copy of your supporting documents at:
Attn: MINDEF Scholarship Centre – Selection Section 5 Depot Road Defence Technology Tower B #08-07C Singapore 109681
How to Apply for Defence Merit Scholarship
- Go to https://go.gov.sg/mindef-saf-scholarship
- Log in with your Singpass.
- Fill out the application form.
- Email your supporting documents to the addresses above.
When is the Closing Date?
The DM scholarship application opens on September 1 and closes on March 15.
Note: Applicants must apply before the deadline. The portal does not accept applications after the closing date.
DMS Contact Details
Email: Tan_Weijun_Kenny@mindef.gov.sg or Joyce_Tan_Hui_Leng@mindef.gov.sg
Office address: MINDEF Scholarship Centre – Selection Section 5 Depot Road Defence Technology Tower B #08-07C Singapore 109681