For students and researchers looking for opportunities to complete their doctoral degrees, you can take advantage of this opportunity. Through the DAAD scholarship for PhD students, you get to enjoy a fully funded study for the period of your program.
Is the DAAD scholarship Available for Doctoral Degrees?
The DAAD scholarship program offers one-year grants to PhD students from all around the world to study in Germany. The scheme also offers a full grant to students and researchers who are from developing countries.
Who Can Apply for the DAAD Scholarship for PhD?
If your qualifications are above average and you have earned your Master’s degree, Diplom, or in rare circumstances, a Bachelor’s degree by the start of the financing period, you are eligible to apply.
Benefits of the DAAD Scholarship for PhD
The scholarship program covers most of the applicant’s expenses.
- The program offers support for a PhD project at a state-funded or -recognized higher education institution in Germany or at a non-university research institute. It could be participation in an organized doctoral study program or a personal project under the supervision of a university professor (doctoral supervisor).
- If conducting research outside of Germany is necessary for you to earn your doctorate, funding may also be available for the program.
How Much Does the DAAD scholarship for PhD Cost?
Below are the expense values covered by the scholarship program:
- Monthly payment of €1200
- Monthly rent
- Health, accident, and personal liability insurance
- A one-off study allowance of €460, €230 in the fourth year (if you are from a DAC country), or €260, €130 in the fourth year (if you are from other countries)
- Travel allowance
- After receiving the scholarship award letter, the scholarship program pays the course fees for an online language course to advance your language abilities in preparation for your stay in Germany.
- Other expenses include disability or chronic illness costs.
- Monthly allowance for accompanying family members.
- Candidates should typically have graduated no more than six years before the application deadline.
- If you have already begun your doctoral program, the start date cannot have been more than three years ago.
- If you had been a resident of Germany for more than 15 months at the time of the application deadline, your application will not be taken into consideration.
- Proof of good English language skills may also be accepted.
What Documents Do I Need to Provide?
- Proof of credits
- Online application form
- Comprehensive curriculum vitae in tabular format.
- List of publication
- A statement outlining the academic motivations for the intended study project in Germany.
- A proposal that you have written and developed yourself, as well as an outline of previous research.
How to Apply for DAAD Scholarship for PhD
- Go to the DAAD scholarship application website.
- Go to Find Scholarships.
- Click on DAAD Scholarships.
- Click on Scholarship for a Master’s Degree.
- Go to Submitting an Application.
- Scroll down and hit To the Application Portal.
- Fill out the application form.
- Prepare the application documents.
- Scan and upload paper documents in PDF formats.
- Submit your application with the supporting documents.
When is the DAAD Scholarship Application Deadline?
Application deadlines are updated at least once a year. In most cases, they are in the same period as the previous year. The application starts on July 1.
Note: Only if you timely upload the necessary documents to the DAAD portal, will your application be considered genuine.