Over 100,000 German and international students and researchers are supported globally by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) every year. As a postgraduate student, you can take advantage of this opportunity. You can apply for the DAAD scholarship for Masters degree.
Is the DAAD scholarship Available for Master’s Degrees?
Yes. With the help of this scholarship program, you can pursue a postgraduate degree in Germany and continue your academic career.
Who is Eligible for DAAD Scholarship for Masters?
Applicants who qualify for this scheme are those who have completed their first degree, e.g., Bachelor’s or Diploma.
Benefits of the DAAD Masters Degree Scholarship
The DAAD scholarship for a Master’s degree covers most of the student expenses if not all. Here are some of the benefits:
- The scholarship covers a full postgraduate or Master’s degree program completed at a German public university or institution recognized by the state.
- Or, as part of a second or Master’s degree earned at your native university, one year of study abroad in Germany. The standard requirement is that your home university accepts the academic credits you earn in Germany. Furthermore, the study year in Germany should not extend beyond the typical length of study at your home university.
Note: if you have started a Master’s degree program in Germany, the scholarship program will not cover you.
How Much Does the DAAD Scholarship for Masters Cost?
The scholarship program covers the students’ expenses. Here is a breakdown of the monthly stipend amount:
- Monthly payment of €861
- Monthly rent
- Health, accident, and personal liability insurance
- A one-off study allowance of €460 (if you are from a DAC country), or €260 (if you are from other countries)
- Travel allowance
- After receiving the scholarship award letter, the scholarship program pays the course fees for an online language course to advance your language abilities in preparation for your stay in Germany.
- Other expenses include disability or chronic illness costs.
DAAD Master’s Degree Scholarship Requirements
Here are the general selection criteria for the DAAD Master’s degree scholarship.
- Please be aware that it is your responsibility to make sure your application for admission to the German institution for the study program of your choice is filed before the deadline. When applying, you should have a degree from a university that is no older than six years.
- If you had been a resident of Germany for more than 15 months at the time of the application deadline, your application will not be taken into consideration.
- You cannot start the scholarship during the summer semester; it must begin with the winter semester.
- You must prove your level of ability in the language used for teaching in your chosen study program when you apply for a scholarship with the DAAD (German and/or English)
What Documents Do I Need to Provide?
When applying for the scholarship, you need to provide:
- Online application form.
- A statement outlining the academic and non-academic motivations for the intended study project in Germany
- Admission letter to the German host university’s academic program
- A current resume of grades
- Proof of proficiency in the language(s) used for instruction in the study program of choice (should be no older than two years).
- Certificate of graduation from a university showing the grade(s)
- A description of the grading system
- Comprehensive curriculum vitae in tabular format.
- Additional documents include certificates of employment, proof of extracurricular engagement, etc.
How to Apply for DAAD Masters Degree Scholarship Program
Follow this step-by-step guide to initiate your application on the DAAD application website.
- Go to the DAAD scholarship application website.
- Go to Find Scholarships.
- Click on DAAD Scholarships.
- Click on Scholarship for a Master’s Degree.
- Go to Submitting an Application.
- Scroll down and hit To the Application Portal.
- Fill out the application form.
- Prepare the application documents.
- Scan and upload paper documents in PDF formats.
- Submit your application with the supporting documents.
When is the DAAD Scholarship Application Deadline?
Application deadlines are updated at least once a year. In most cases, they are in the same period as the previous year. The application starts on December 1.
Note: Only if you timely upload the necessary documents to the DAAD portal, will your application be considered genuine.